Explore the delicate and complex balance between mental health and mental illness with original thought-provoking and moving stories by Kelley Armstrong, Suzanne Church, A.M. Dellamonica, Gemma Files, James Alan Gardner, Bev Geddes, Erika Holt, Tyler Keevil, Rich Larson, Derwin Mak, Mahtab Narsimhan, Sherry Peters, Ursula Pflug, Robert Runté, Lorina Stephens, Amanda Sun, Hayden Trenholm, Edward Willett, and A.C. Wise. Introduction by Julie E. Czerneda, Strangers Among Us . . . is important, shining a much-needed spotlight on issues that get far too little attention.
"A wonderful anthology, one of the major SF&F books of the year. Bravo!" — Robert J. Sawyer, Hugo Award-winning author of Quantum Night Anthologies in this series (Strangers Among Us, The Sum of Us, Where the Stars Rise, Shades Within Us) have been recommended by Publishers Weekly, Booklist (American Library Association), Kirkus Reviews, Library Journal, School Library Journal, Locus, Foreword Reviews, and Quill & Quire.
Lucas K. Law, editor
Lucas K. Law is Malaysian-born freelance editor and published author who divides his time and heart between Calgary and Qualicum Beach. With Susan Forest, he co-edits Aurora Award-winning Strangers Among Us, The Sum of Us, and Shades Within Us. Lucas is the co-editor of Where the Stars Rise with Derwin Mak. He has been a jury member for a number of fiction competitions including Nebula, RITA and Golden Heart Awards. When he isn’t editing, writing, or reading, he is a corporate and non-profit organization consultant in business planning and development.
Susan Forest, editor
Susan Forest is a three-time Prix Aurora Award finalist for short fiction and a writer of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Her novel (Bursts of Fire), the first in a seven-volume epic fantasy series, the Addicted to Heaven Saga, will be out in 2019 from Laksa Media, followed by Flights of Marigolds. Her collection of short fiction, Immunity to Strange Tales, was published by Five Rivers Publishing. She has published over 25 short stories which have appeared in Asimov’s Science Fiction, Analog Science Fiction and Fact, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and OnSPEC Magazine, among others. Susan has co-edited three anthologies (Aurora Award-winning Strangers Among Us, The Sum of Us, Shades Within Us) on social issue-related themes with Lucas K. Law. Susan is the Past Secretary for the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA).
- This is a unique collection that should attract readers of all genres. - Foreword Reviews Link to review
- . . . a solid effort, a mixed SF/fantasy original anthology, with a number of entertaining stories to be found within its pages. - Gardner Dozois, Locus
- The stories in Strangers Among Us are as varied in tone and approach as their authors. The power of the collection derives from this variety; while each story can be read in isolation, the assemblage of outsiders feels, on a whole, exultant. There is, indeed, strength in numbers, when each individual is accorded space and respect. - Quill & Quire Link to review
- Mental illness is an exciting theme for an anthology, leaving plenty of room for variety. - Library Journal Link to review
- Winner, 2017 Alberta Book Publishing Award
- Winner, 2017 (Canadian SF&F) Aurora Award
Rights Holder: Laksa Media Groups Inc.
rights available: World
number of pages: 368
publication date: 08/08/2016
Original language of pub: English
Materials Available: finished book
Additional Materials: More on the book